Saffron as an Immunity Booster
Saffron is one of the most exotic spices in the world. It is also one of the exotic herbs in the Ayurveda (traditional Indian medicinal system), amongst others. In fact, Saffron first became known in the field of traditional medicine before it became a household name as condiment and dye. It is considered to be the dried stigma of the flowers of Crocus Sativus.
Saffron, along with its other health benefits, has been proven to boost human immune system. The immune system helps in keeping one healthy by protecting against attacks from viruses, bacteria and dangerous fungi.
According to one of the studies, sub‐chronic daily use of 100 mg saffron has temporary immunomodulatory activities without any adverse effects.
The carotenoids present in Saffron help with the body’s immune response. The plant’s oils are also responsible for a better immune system.
Saffron has a lot of volatile and non-volatile aroma yielding components along with some bioactive chemicals like safranal, picrocrocin etc. There are also certain vitamins like folic acid, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, folic acid etc. present in saffron.
Other essential benefits of Saffron are:
- It helps in pain and inflammation
- It is believed to improve and strengthen cardio-vascular system health and helps strengthen our lungs
- Because of its antioxidant properties, it helps in better circulation in the body
- It helps rejuvenate the body, along with helping in an increased energy level
- Saffron’s fragrance helps in stimulating a cheerful mood and helps cure melancholia
- It also helps fight cancer cells in the body
How has saffron helped strengthen your immune system? Tell us in the comment section below.